CLUTCH PROBLEM?

1990 Nissan 300ZX

1990 Nissan 300ZX 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 88000 miles

I was driving (normal, not hotrodding) and I went to shift to 3rd and it would not go into gear. It felt like when you try to go into gear, but don't push the clutch all the way. So I really pushed the clutch and even then I had to force the shifter into 3rd. When I came to a stop sign, it was all I could do to get it into 1st. Had to mash the clutch and force the shifter. I could not even get it to 2nd. So I was able to drive home in 3rd with no stopping thankfully. To get it up the drivewan and in the garage, I was able to get it into 1st. The clutch cable isn't busted. Nothing is hanging down. It turned just fine, it braked just fine, etc. Don't know what the cause or problem would be. New clutch? Thanks!
Prduke

I don't know what clutch cable you checked but your car doesn't even have one. Your clutch is a hydraulic system with a master cylinder and a slave cylinder. One or both of them are leaking and it has run low on brake fluid and has sucked air into the system. You will have to determine which one is bad and replace it then bleed the system out.

Wrenchtech
Hey Wrenchtech
thanks for the reply. The only thing against the master cylinder is that my braking is just fine. Wouldn't my braking be effected with a leak of the master cylinder?

Prduke
No, there is a separate clutch master cylinder right next to the brake master cylinder.

Wrenchtech