ALTERNATOR DIAGNOSIS/REPA

1987 Nissan 300ZX

1987 Nissan 300ZX 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 187000 miles

I have a 87 300ZX and suspect that the alternator needs replacement. Two days ago the engine stopped running. I jumped the car and it ran fine for five more minutes and then died again. I noticed that after the car was jumped that the voltmeter gauge was not moving (indicated 8, far left position). I suspect that the problem is the alternator. I have checked fuses 3 and 4 in column two of the fuse box and they are fine.

I have a copy of the Factory Service Manual FSM. I have tried to remove the alternator as a do-it-yourself job but I could not figure out how to get the alternator out. The FSM makes it sound and look easy. I got the car on jack stands. I removed the plastic engine shield. I loosened the alternator adjusting lever. I then stared and stared at the other bolt which looked impossible to get to. It looked as if I would have to remove the radiator hose and then a half a dozen other parts to get to it. It has been 30 years since I was last underneath a car.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/229288_FSM__Alternator_Replacement_1.jpg

Am I correct to suspect the alternator?
Is there an easy way to remove the alternator on a 87 300ZX (Engine VG30E)?
Pbaker01