VOLTAGE REGULATOR

1986 Nissan 300ZX

1986 Nissan 300ZX 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 166000 miles

Alternator was overcharging, battery boiled over, and the battery fusible link melted. I have replaced the alternator, battery, and jumped the fusible link with a #12 wire. Here is the problem, (and this started before I replaced everything) It stopped running, it acted like it ran out of gas. Every time I try to start it, it starts up fine, sounds strong, and then dies after 2 to 5 seconds. When I first jumped the fusible link it ran for almost 20 seconds but died and is back to the same routine (2-5 seconds) Fuel filter is good, spark plugs are new. Maybe the ignitor, fuel pump, water in the gas? Any suggestions?
Croit

HI Croit
on the 300zx's you can't jump the fusible link for the main power. It has to have the right resistance or the computer shuts the car down. Replace the fusible link with a new one and that should solve your problem

Dealmaker
I'm not trying to call you out here but you are incorrect. I have an 86 300zx. It has a jumper in the main power slot and two more in the head light light slot. I replaced the jumper when I got the car so it's been that way since I got it. I don't know if it runs any differently but I do know it runs really good.

Dallasstone