ALT WILL NOT CHARGE

1974 Nissan 260Z

1974 Nissan 260Z 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

yes, thanks in advance, I was testing the charging system on my 74 260Z car with and auto trans and noticed that the alternator was only putting out 12.7V with all the loads and about 13.2 no loads, also noticed that the external voltage regulator was adjustable so in an attempt to adjust the regulated voltage I saw at one time up to 17v, then readjusted it down to a steady 14.7V and all was fine until the next day that I noticed that the amp gage was showing undercharge when before it was on the plus side, tested with my fluk and in
fact the alt was not charging the battery. I tested all the fuses, swaped some relays around, checked the fusible links and all tested good, still no charging. There are some people that have modified the alternators with built in regulators so I did install a Mazda 80A alt and bypass the regulator but still no charge, do you have any idea on what relay or what got damage?
Luis Dangond