MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR? TOO MUCH GAS?

1990 Nissan 240SX

1990 Nissan 240SX 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 134000 miles

hey guys, I have a 1990 nissan 240sx, about 134,000 miles, it has a 2.4L 4 cyl and it is real wheel drive. So here is my issue:

I have recently replaced the fuel filter, which I think had never been changed on the vehicle cause when I took it off a bunch of reddish stuff came out of it. I then drove the car over 300 miles on a road trip. Now, when I start the car it idles fine, a little irratic, but I just assumed the was the alternator coming on and off. Anyway, after the engine is warm I put the car into gear and drive and drive a few blocks, and then when I come to a stop or try to press on the gas the car will what I believe choke out and die and will not start again as if it was flooded. When I try to start it again it just turns over and will not start. Also, when it is turning over, the exhaust that comes out the tail pipe reaks of gas. I assume that it is getting too much gas and flooding itself out. During all of this the check engine light is intermittently off and on, but I never really paid any attention to it cause I have had the car for almost 4 years and that light has always been on and have never had problems like this. With all this said I was thinking that it might be the fuel pressure regulator, but talking with the employees at my local auto store, they think that it might have something to do with the air/fuel ratio mixture, and they said to replace my mass air flow sensor. But I wanted to get a second opinion and was just wondering what you all think about it. Any help with what you might think that it might be would be awesome. Thank you in advance
Xandir_Nythe