NEED TO REPLACE REAR STEEL BRAKE LINE ON A

1999 Ford Explorer • 144,000 miles

Hi,

I'm a bit confused. I have leaky steel line in the rear of my explorer. It LOOKS like it routes from one wheel, over the axle, over the top of the "pineapple" and to the other wheel. I assume that is impossible because where would the brake fluid come from? I can't find anything on top of the pineapple that the brake lines would screw into (I cannot see up there, only feel. How do the rear brake lines actually route on this truck? I badly need to complete this job.

Thanks!

J
Vintshave

Normally there is a block at or near center of axle that bolts to the axle and the line connects there one for each side. We don't ' have a pic of that part but if you have it up in the air you can see how it is. You will probably need to bend the new line to fit

I took the spare down to get a better look. This is the strangest setup I've ever seen. It seems that both rear brakes share the same hydraulic line that runs down the drivers side of the car, where it goes into a hose by the left wheel. Then one side of the steel line screws in there and runs directly from the drivers side to the passenger side caliper. Have you ever heard of that?

Vintshave
Normally it is on the center near the left but that is pretty much how all cars go with brake lines.

I spent 12 hours wrestling with my rear brakes today. I replaced the one line which goes from one rear wheel to the other. I get leaks coming out of the fittings (where the steel line comes out of the fitting) on both sides. I replaced the right rear wheel brake hose and I get leaks from the back of the fitting that gets bolted against the wheel - even though I am using copper washers. Obviously, I am getting no useful help at all from the morons at autozone and pepboys. I see fittings many of which fit my calipers but of all different lengths and have no idea which ones to use.

I am really stuck and frustrated on this one and would greatly appreciate your help.

J

Vintshave
Unfortunately the morons at auto parts stores are mostly that, they are not mechanics. Any advice they give other than parts should be taken with a grain of salt. If you are getting leaks you need to make sure y ou are using NEW copper washers so it won't leak and make sure they are the correct size like the ones you took off. Also to make sure you have the proper line instead of any old line take your old one with you and match it up. There is a good chance that your lilne h as metric threading there is a good chance you may have messed up the line going to the block if it leaks the one going to the caliper the bolts should be at 23-29 ft lbs torque and line fitting should be about 15-20 ft. Lbs