NO BRAKES

1996 Mitsubishi Shogun

Brakes problem
1996 Mitsubishi Shogun V12 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

Hello, I have a 2800 turbo intercooler shogun which has had dodgey brakes for a good while. I had to really press hard on the pedal to get any reaction. The other day I was reversing and I heard a bang like a cable snapping. The brakes stopped working from then on. The pedal goes all the way to the floor with no braking. My boyfriend had a look and noticed that one of the front brake pads was actually broken in two. He replaced the two front break pads and filled up the dot 3 or 4. Gutted. This had no effect. I was sure that the noise came from the back of the car and the bloke in the car parts place said that it was some undiscribable widget. I'm an 100 quid down on front brake pads with no brakes. Any help in a not too tech jargon would be very much appreciated.
Peelemma