MITSUBISHI PAJERO RADIATOR PROBLEM

1994 Mitsubishi Pajero

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Mitsubishi Pajero 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

hi, my 4x4 recently overheated but rather than stop I kept going but not very far, my engine cut out and I was towed home by recovery.

now upon inspection I found that my radiator had a large crack in it so I bought a new one. I drained everything out the old radiator and reserve tank flushed it and installed the new radiator, top it up with 50/50 coolant and water.

i left of the radiator cap to " burp" the air out but everytime I turn the engine over it turns but will not start and huge amounts of pressure and water comes out my radiator.

any ideas

thanks
Hungrylight

Hi hungrylight,

I hate to bring bad news but too bad had to do it.

The overheating has caused the head gasket to blow thereby when cranking the engine, compression is getting into the cooling system causing the high pressure at radiator neck.

You would need to have the head pressure tested, refaced if good and replace the head gasket to rectify the problem.