MISFIRE DETECTED IN CYLINDER 2 (TROUBLE CODE P0302)

Mitsubishi Other

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4 cylinder w/ 121,000 miles.
i took an emissions test and did not pass due to a misfire detected in cylinder 2 (code P0302). My 'service engine soon' light is on. I have tried a few things to fix it like.I checked the compression in all 4 cylinders, changed the spark plugs and plug wires, and checked the coils, but the SES light is still on and my car still runs the same. When I accelerate, or I am going up a hill, my car kind of 'boggs' and shakes w/ kind of a ticking noise, it seems like it doesnt want to shift. What needs replaced/fixed? Please help! I am sooo broke from trying to figure this out! I am extremely illiterate when it comes to car repair!

thank you sooo much!
Damsilndistress

Hey Damsil!
Wow, definitely know the feeling1 Can you give me some more info though? Like when you took compression readings. What were they for each cylinder? How did you " check the coils"? Any more info would be awesome! Let me know!

Chris

Carundell
Hey Damsil!

Chris[/quote: 7977b262ec]

chris,

my dads mechanic works on boom trucks, so he had some equiptment for smaller cars and he checked the compression on all 4 cylinders about 1 week ago. He said that the compression readings were about 120 hot (w/ the spark plugs out). The way we checked the coils was with an ohm meter. It showed that there was a charge, or resistance whatever it is called, but is that an effective way to check them? I also looked up what the cause of this misfire could be and found a list of causes, but not an exact solution.

-faulty spark plug or wire, faulty coil (pack), faulty oxygen sensor, faulty fuel injector, burned exhaust valve, faulty catalytic converter, running out of fuel, poor compression, and defective computer-

So, we started w/ the smallest and ruled out spark plugs or wires, running out of gas, and poor compression. I thought we had ruled out faulty coils, but maybe not?

THANK U SOOO MUCH FOR TIME AND HELP! I appreciate it!

Thanks,
damsil n' distress

Damsilndistress
Lets email this one . OK?

Carundell
I am having the exact same problemn with my 03 Galant (4 cyl.A/t), same symptoms, engine code p0302, etc. I tried changing the spark plugs about a week ago and the problem stopped for about 2 days then started again, any ideas?

Vapor100ll
Im having the same problem with my mitsubishi eclipse 2001 4 cyl and its only 68000 miles. If you got something on the subject send a me a email.

Please.

Samper
STOP hold up
misfire p0302 code
change the fuel injector most likely if cars sputters then u get a boost of power, rough idles in gear, ok in neutral,

also check ignition coil, ignition boot and plug, if oil gets in it that is the problem, also change the valve cover gasket, that is probably where the oil is seeping from to foul the plug

Allseeing