ECLIPSE COLD START PINGING/RATTLE NOISE

2003 Mitsubishi Other

Engine problem
2003 Mitsubishi V6 Front Wheel Drive Manual 28000 miles

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS with about 28,000 miles on it, 5 speed manual transmission.
The car is completly stock.
Just recently, the car has been making a pinging or rattling noise when I drive the car first thing in the morning/cold start.
I can't tell if it is coming from the engine or the transmission, although it sounds more like the passenger side of the engine, but close enough to the bulkhead that I can hear it clearly inside the car with the windows rolled up.
It makes the noise the entire drive to work (about 5 miles - 15 minutes of driving), however when I leave work to go home in the afternoon, it does not make the noise.
It seems to be related to cold starts, but it does not seem to go away after the engine has warmed up, at least in the 15 minutes that it takes me to get to work.
However, as I mentioned, it does not make the noise when I drive home, but the daytime temperatures are much warmer then the morning temperatures.
About 2 months ago, I had the serpentine (sp?) Belt replaced, so I thought I should mention that.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be, so that I may have some inside info before I take it to a mechanic?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
NickP

I have noticed that the noise only occurs when the transmission is engaged and the vehicle is moving.
When the car is at a stop, there is no noise.
As soon as I put the car in gear and start to move forward, the noise is there.
After the car has been driven for about 20 or 30 minutes, the noise disappears.
I just had the serpentine belt replaced about 3 months ago, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Since my question has been posted for about 2 weeks now without a response, I have decided to seek a mechanic and stop waiting for assistance from this web site.

NickP
I had this same problem. I thought it was sticky lifters, and I replaced them, and it didnt help. Then I threw codes saying my camshaft and crankshaft sensors were bad, and that I was rich on one back and lean on the other - all of the these codes went off on the same day. Strange, hu?
I'm stumped. My car now won't run. I posted similar thing - lets see if anyone answers

=(

Tenyards