OIL LOSS,LIFTERS TAPPING

1995 Mitsubishi Mirage

1995 Mitsubishi Mirage 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 150, 00 miles

the car belonged to a friend of mine it is a
1995 mitsubishi mirage sl with a 1.8 engine.

my friend is a dummy at car maintenance. He developed a oil leak and one day on the way home it blew out the oil and died, he tried to start it and it died, so he had it towed home. He figured he had fried the motor so he went out and bought another car and gave the mirage to me.
I towed it to my place and in checking it out I discovered the leak was from a loose oil filter.
I replaced the filter and oil and the car started right up, running quiet and smooth.
every thing seemed normal. The first road test was maybe 30 miles and it seemed to run fine.
a few days later I drove it 30 miles to a job site and it was ok. On the way back a lifter started to tap.
and the others started to make noise as I continued home, I was within a few miles from home and all the lifters started tapping. It sounded like a marching band going down the road. I got it home and killed the engine and it sat for a few days before I could get back to it.
I started it. Several lifters tapped but then went silent except for one maybe two lifters. I immediatly stopped the motor.
Now for my question (?)
without spending a lot of money to determine the problem, where would be best to start?
check oil pressure?
compression test?
is it possible to save the engine or is it probably already shot.
I appreciate any suggestions because I am not familiar with mitsubishi.
thanks
Keg
Kegroening