GAS POURING FROM EVAPORATIVE EMISSIO

1994 Mitsubishi Mirage

1994 Mitsubishi Mirage 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 116000 miles

I recently replaced the entire fuel pump assembly and the fuel level sending unit on my 1994 Mitsubishi Mirage LS Coupe. (It has the 1.8 L engine with an automatic.) The car ran fine on a couple of short trips (1.5 miles each). At that time the gas tank was nearly empty. I then drove it about three miles to a service station and put in about 5 gallon of gas. I then drove it about 2 miles when the check engine light came on. When I inspected the engine I found gas pouring (not just dripping) out of the vent hole in the bottom of the evaporative emissions cannister. I loosened the gas cap to relieve pressure from the system and eventually the leakage stopped but it did not stop right away. What would cause gas to pour out of the bottom of the cannister?
4202booth

Check for proper fuel and return line hose installation at the fuel pump, you might have reversed them?

Merlin2021
If the hoses are reversed how was I able to drive the car several times over two days before the problem happened? How was gas getting to the intake? Thanks for your help.

4202booth
Check the fuel pressure regulator, remove the vacuum line to it, any gas in it? If yes replace the regulator, and check the return for kinks, it is possible you inadvertently kinked the line. Don't really think the lines are reversed, but it might back feed thru the regulator due to the high pressures of EFI systems.

Merlin2021