WATER ON DRIVERS SIDE FLOOR COMING

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Heater problem
2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse 6 cyl 80000 miles

a steady stream of plain water is running into the drivers side of the floor from a point at the firewall just to the right side of the gas peddle at the point where the heater? Assy intersects with the fire wall. It appears to be condensate from the ac unit. It this the probable cause? It is happening rain or shine. It is not radiator water. If so is it something a home mechanic can fix? If not, how difficult is it to fix? Possible cost range?
Steve Crippen

Hello -

To better assist you is your model the GS, GT, GTS, RS, Spyder GS, Spyder GT, or Spyder GTS and what is your engine size in liter.

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
The model is a GT, I don't know what liter size the engine is, I know it is a V6. I could probably find out if necessary, but it would take some research.
From what I can tel, I think the source is condensate from the air conditioner. I checked it while the car was running and the AC was on. No leask when car was off.

Steve Crippen
Asked question on Monday, replied to info request wed, does anyone have an answer? I need to either repair the problem myself this weekend or send it to a mechanic. Help!
Thanks, Steve Crippen

Steve Crippen
Hello -

I apologize Steve....had some major technical problems...........

Okay I would first check the AC evaporator drain tube for obstruction or missing.

The pic below doesn't show the drain hose but it does show you the evaporator which is inside the car.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture1_90.jpg

Okay....I had another vehicle tore apart and maybe these pics will help. This first pic you can see the tube from the inside of the vehicle. This connects to the evaporator....same as yours. Reach up under the dash carefully between the carpet and the AC unit, passenger side and feel to see if it is properly connected.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1443_1.jpg

If it is properly connected, then go to the firewall under the hood, passenger side. This next pic shows the AC lines....they go into the top of the evaporator. Look straight down from them toward the ground on the firewall.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1444_1.jpg

What you are looking for is that tube coming from the inside to the outside. Make sure it is clear of any objects. With the AC running water (condensation) should be dripping from it.

My current thought is the tube is blocked and the condensation is filling the pan under the evaporator and running on the inside of the car.

One other thing. You may have to GENTLE ease something up the tube in case there is a blockage. Do it easy. You don't want to puncture the evaporator.

Check and let me know.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Hello -

Also Steve I checked the TSBs and there isn't anything that anyone else has had a problem like this.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Hi Steve,

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi eclipse and have the exact same problem as you did. The air conditioner would cause water to pool to the right of the gas pedle. How did you end up fixing your car? Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Arabidopsis1979