RADIATOR REPLACEMENT - MANUAL OR AU

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I recently bought a new radiator to replace the cracked one on my 2001 Eclipse GS. The manufacturer stated that this radiator will work with both manual and automatic transmissions. When I took my car to the shop they immediately said it's the wrong radiator because it had a bleeder line on the bottom for an automatic transmission. The bleeder line is removable, and I explained that the manufacturer said you could use it with both transmissions. They are now insisting that you can't leave the holes open where the bleeder plugs in to the radiator. The want to order a new radiator, what should I do?
Slicergba

Hi slicergba,

Thank you for the donation.

For auto transmission, the radiator has 2 additional pipes for auto trans fluid cooling. Since you are using it for the manual vehicle, the 2 pipes to the fluid cooler are not used and can be left plugged or unplugged.

I don't see any problem with installing it and you can proceed with replacing the radiator without any problem.

DO NOT remove the cooler pipes, leave them as they are.

The manual radiator however cannot be used for auto trans as the cooler is required unless an external cooler is fitted.

Thank you for your response, you mentioned that I should not remove the cooling pipes on the bottom, but they actually came loose from the manufacturer. Should I have the shop install them?

Slicergba
You have to reinstall them as loosening them can cause leakages.