OVERHEATING

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 79000 miles

My car has been overheating for awhile now. At first it was only overheating when I was in idle, but now it overheats as often as it wants even when I am going 60 mph on the highway. The engine coolant is full and not leaking and the radiator has no leaks or physical issues. I thought it could have just been the thermostat but after I replaced it is when it started getting worse. The fan is unusually loud and sounds as if it is knocking at times. The car never smokes when it overheats the only reason I know is by the gauge on my dash.
Bisk2185

Could be air lock in the system try bleeding it-don't work block and pressure tests

BLEEDING COOLING SYSTEM

Always bleed air from cooling system after replacing coolant. Set heater for maximum heat. Remove radiator cap. Loosen drain plug and remove drain bolt (if equipped) from engine block. Drain coolant reservoir. Fill coolant reservoir to MAX mark with 50/50 water-coolant mixture. Loosen bleed bolt and fill radiator up to base of filler neck. Close bleed bolt when coolant flows out without bubbles. Tighten bleed bolt. With radiator cap removed, start and operate engine to normal operating temperature. Add coolant if necessary and check for leaks.

Have it block and pressure tested-do the block first to pinpoint a combustion leaking into the cooling system or a gas analyzer to sniff for hydrocarbons at the radiator fill neck.

Pressure test: do not do a pressure test if there's leakage at the headgasket this might cause coolant into the cylinders and lock it up or bend a connecting rod if cranked thereafter. The headgasket should be repaired before doing the pressure test.

If the block and pressure test passes check the following: Thermostat, Pressure test the Rad. Cap, Clogged radiator, Fan clutch, Radiator electrical fan, collaspe hoses, water pump.