THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 136000 miles

Hello, I have a throttle position sensor that is not working properly I believe and makes my engine run awful, it seems flooded, idles very high and the throttle response is slow. But on the other hand sometimes it works perfect, car idles at 800 RPM and throttle response is quick. Sometimes I cant even start my car because it seems flooded because the throttle sensor is wacked up. I have a minor exhaust leak but I dont think it is causing any of this. Sometimes my car runs and idles perfect, other times it runs awful, you can smell gas or fumes of somesort, and chokes when you hit the gas. I bought a " used" throttle position sensor to try to fix the problem and it did not help. I replaced the plug end and wires and that didnt really help much either. And if I buy a brand new one and my car still runs like that I dont know what to do next! Replace the whole throttle body? But the car runs perfect sometimes, I know its something thats relatively easy and common sense, I just cant figure it out. We tried to test the sensor with the multi meter and couldnt get anby readings from the multimeter. Like the tps wasnt even putting out a signal. Please help!
Clebrowns88

It could be the ecm not putting out a signal!

Shadow4690