BLOWN HEAD GASKET

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 112000 miles

I have a 97 eclipse gs with 11200 miles on it. It had beeen overheating and dying alot. Then pretty much gave out. The shop I went in to to explain what had happened to get an estimate of what I needed/pay. They had sayed it was a blown head gasket. Or something similar. Possibly coolant leak?Then I took it to friend(mechanic student) he sayed fixing a head gasket for parts and labor would be about $1,500. I cant afford that. I dont know how reliable his guess is. So first of all how much is labor/parts for a thing like that? And what can I do if anything to help/fix or whatever. My friend also sayed it woulnt be worth fixing to just scrap it. I cant I need the car. Plus I had it appraised a few months ago because I was thinking of trading it in(they didnt know about engine problems) so running condition is worth is about $3,400-$4,300 I was toild and do firmly believe so. Any help would be good. Cant take it in to shop cuz it dosnt really run. Cant afford towing. My friend the mechanic student sayed he could fix it. But if I knew it'd be cheaper than 1500 I might try and tow to a shop to get fixed. Cant afford my friend. Lol. Or the shops if it really is that much to fix. I am pretty sure everything else is in good working condition. Pleaase any help will be greatly appreciated.
Blown head gasket