MITSUBISHI CHALLENGER ENGINE PROBLEM

2001 Mitsubishi Challenger

2001 Mitsubishi Challenger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

Hi, I took a 2001 Mitsubishi Challenger for a test drive this morning and it went fine around corners and drove well except when I had to do a complete 360 and put the steering on full lock and it just stopped. I had to then put the car in park to start it again and it drove fine until once again I did a full lock and the same thing happened. Keeping in mind the fuel gage was reading almost empty and it was on a slight hill. The owner called his mechanic and was told it had something to do with disconnecting the battery earlier today and not starting I again to let the electrics reprogram itself. I don't know anything about cars, but this sounds fishy to me. What do you think? Cheers, Kandi
Munrokandi

Hi Kandi,

Thank you for the donation.

If the idling speed is low, it can cause the engine to stall and after disconnecting the battery the PCM migjt need to relearn to stabilise the idling speed.

The other contributing factor would be the transmission. If vehicle is set to 4WD and road surface is hard, the wheel would lock during full turns and this can cause the engine to stall if the idling speed is low.

Low fuel and inclines can cause the engine to stop as fuel is not being delivered correctly if the vehicle tilts so that the fuel pump strainer is not getting the required fuel.

If idle relearn does not solve the problem, the IAC and throttle body might need cleaning.