POOR IDLING

2008 Mini Cooper S

2008 Mini Cooper S 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 3800 miles

I purchase an '08 Mini Cooper S in November. In December, during one of the cold mornings, it would not idle properly. After shutting it off and starting it back up a couple times, it ran fine. This month, same thing happened one morning except it would not idle properly.

I spoke with MINI and they said it was a known issue from moisture building up in the engine/exhaust. It's been known since at least January of LAST YEAR. They say to let it idle roughly (RPMs ranging from 1k-1.5k) for 5 to 10 minutes, shut it off and start it back up. I did this and it worked after it spit black sludge out of the exhaust. But here's my question. I'm no expert on cars by any means, but it does not seem like the idling variation can be good on a car to leave it running for that long. What are long term problems that this can cause if you have to do it a couple of times a month?

This is a video of someone else's tach on their MINI with the same issue. I appreciate anyone's help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPz5m166eHE
Jasonpvaughn