MISSING OIL

2003 Mini Cooper S

Noises problem
2003 Mini Cooper S 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 42,000 miles

It started with a small thumping sound when I was driving. I rememberd a few years ago when my oil needed topping off the dealer mentioned if I heard this sound to just add oil. It took 5 quarts before it was reading on the dip stick. My heart dropped. I love my car and have taken care of it. My last oil change was 8 months eariler. I have no oil stains on my parking spaces. No related repairs and no leaks that I know of. Where did the oil go? Have you ever heard of this before?
Amy Garstki

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

If there is no external oil leaks it must be burning it, do you see any blue smoke when you start up in the morning? What type of oil do you use, mineral or synth? I wold suggest that you have a service and filter change, use a good quality engine flush, ensure that the oil is at the correct level, note the miles, and re check the oil after you have done around 500Mls, if low top up but use a container that will give you the exact quantity used, this will give an average oil consumption figure, do this and with this information we can have a better idea s to what is going on.

Mhpautos
Thanks for your advice. There was no blue smoke.
And this happened in July. I have been watching it. No additional oil missing, and I watched the 5 quarts being added. My fear is that I was close to being empty (why I'm not sure.) And if I have done any long term damage.

Amy Garstki
Hi there,

There must of been enough oil for basic protection, if there was no oil pressure warning light, but the noise you mention is a bit of a worry, and as the total fill capacity is 4.7 Qts, it was very low, as for long term problems, this is a bit hard to say, if the noise was a bearing knock, then some damage will have been done, hopefully not serious but any bearing noise is not desirable, my main concern is where is the oil going, if there is no external leaks, I must be burning it, I would still do the consumption test so we can get a feel for what is going on.

Mhpautos