FUEL PUMP AND TURNING SIGNALS?

1974 MG Midget

1974 MG Midget 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 110000 miles

The fuel pump works fine when the engine is running, but with a stopped engine the fuel pump starts working intermitently.

Also, at some point the turning signals started to fail from time to time, either not coming up at all or just staying on all the time when activating the switch. When the fuel pump is disconnected then the turning signals work fine.

Is it the fuel pump relay? Is the lights relay? Is it just wiring issues? No idea.
Intransigente

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

If you have an SU electric fuel pump and the charging system is sill a generator (apart from an alternator) I would be thinking that the voltage regulator need re adjusting as the idle voltage is way to low to keep everything running, I would also ensure that the battery terminals are clean & tight as are all earth straps, start here.

Mhpautos
Hi there, thanks for your response.

I actually found that the turning signal flasher was causing the fuel pump to come on and off when the engine was not running.

I replaced the flasher and now both the turning signals and the fuel pump appear to be ok, however, the flasher heats up even when the engine is not running. Is this normal?

Intransigente
No, I should not get hot, may be an earth problem still, did you use a newer electronic type or the older tin can type?

Mhpautos