INTERMITTENT POWER STEEL FAULT

2000 MG MGF

Steering problem
2000 MGF 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 36000 miles

Hi,
My MGF's electronic power steering light is iluminated at present. I had the electronic power steering unit replaced last year on a service & MOT as the power steering light was on then and I had no power steering. The mechanic told me that he replaced the unit (with a reconditioned unit) as the contacts were slightly corroded, possible water injest, and this was causing the problem. The unit worked fine for a while but has now stopped working again. I took the vehicle for an MOT and asked them to see if they could fix it for me but they have said that the diagnostic machine is not picking up any faults and as such the vehicle has failed the MOT! They also informed me that they took the unit off and cleaned it up and rebooted the unit but still no joy and they cannot tell me what is wrong so it can be sorted!
Can you give me some advice please as I now have a car I cannot use and knowbody knows what is wrong with it?
Kind Regards - Mick137 aka - 4 wheels and no wagon to drive it!
Mick137