STUCK IN 4TH GEAR

Mercury Tracer

Hello. I have a 1987 Mercury Tracer. It has a standard transmission and for some reason it will not shift out of fourth gear. I was driving it and everything seemed fine but when I tried to switch out of fourth the shifter would not move. I've tried disconnecting the shifter underneath to see if the problem is there, but everything moves ok if it's not connected to the transmission. The clutch seems to work normally, but I'm not positive. If I push the clutch in the car will roll backwards. Otherwise it's stuck in fourth.

Does the car need a new transmission or is there something else wrong? A friend says he thinks it's the " gearbox", but I don't know enough about it to know for sure.
Me12

I would check the shift linkage first. If it seems to be all right then it is most probably and internal tranny problem.

Losone
As mentioned, I already tried that.

Me12
I would pull the shifter housing off the tranny and see if the shift forks are in the right grove and if you can manually move the gears selector in the tranny. Regardless, I would try this because I think you will have to remeove the tranny anyway. It is a stab in the dark.

Losone