DISABLED FATHER NEEDS CAR HELP

Mercury Tracer

I recently bought a 95 tracer trio the muffler pipe was broke between the flex pipe and the resinator. I had an oil change and ever since the oil change when the car idles when it is warm the check engine light comes on. When I start driving it will go off. Then when I stop at a light it comes back on. I was told it was the exshust and had fixed but symptom is still their. I was told that it could be a vaccuum leak. Can a code be found if it happens when it idels to tell me whats wrong. I was told no by a friend. Can you help and tell me what the problem may be wrong oil maybe they put in 10w30 instead of 5w30. It also idels between 550 & 700 rpms. And seems to idle a little rough but that did that when I bought the car. I had the car about 3 or 4 days before the oil change. I also put in some fuel injection cleaner made by gumout for high milage cars and filled it half way with regular unleaded could it also be bad gas. I did the exhust repair two days after the oil change. : X
Thom043

Getting the codes read would be a good start. The 95 may have obdII although it wasn't required until 96. I doubt a relationship between the oil change place and the symptoms you have. But never say never.

The oil weight will have no bearing on the problem. Bad gas is pretty rare. IF you put in the wrong octane, that may affect it, but still low probability.

Would the fact that it is not idleing correctly have any thing to do with it or the fact that thier is a little corrosion on the battery. Also I am haveing a trans tune up done because the fluid is not pink and I do not think it was ever done. Would weak fluid cause this symptom. I do not see the connector for the odb but I do see a ecc diganostic plug under the hood. Will they still be code the car that way.

Thom043
No connection between the idle and the battery corrosion, but it should be clean regardless.

The DLC is on the firewall:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_dlc_1.jpg

I went to the garage where I had the oil change done and them take the extra oil they had put in. As I had thought no more engine light. Why would a little extra oil cause the engine light to come on.

Thom043
All I can say as I have yet to have high oil level trigger the CEL. Did they clear the codes perhaps?

No but the problem did return. But dose not seem to happen as much as it use to. What would cause the engine light to come at low speeds and go off at speeds more than 40. Also the car did stall once today. It ran fine for about 4 hours after they took out the extra oil.

Thom043
You need to access the codes to start narrowing down the source.

Dirty MAF?

The codes that was giving to was a bad cam sensor or crank sensor and a random miss fire. Could you please tell me where these sensors are. Also they recommended a tune up what type plugs do you recommend resistor or platinum.

Thom043
I like Auotlite plugs, I would go by what the catalog calls for, I 'll check it and get back. What was the code number?

He did not give me the numbers because he did the at no charge. He just me that those codes came up. They also tried to clear them but the one for the cam senor came back.

Thom043