VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR

1998 Mercury Tracer

1998 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 171000 miles

So my transmission has been not shifting into 4th gear lately and has been shifting kinda funny. I finally got an error code which corresponded with a vehicle speed sensor code. The vehicle speed sensor on the 98 tracer plugs into the transmission.

I bought a new vehicle speed sensor and started the repair job. I got screw out that holds it in place, but it will not come out, and I have tried everything I can think of. I've been able to spin the sensor in 360's using vice grips, but it will not come out. I've been working it to try to get stuff under it to pry it up, but I just can't seem to get anything the right size and shape that I can get under it to pry it out.

Do I have to put the car in a certain gear? Do I have to drain all the fluid out? Does this mean the tranny is hosed? I'm in serious need of some advice here.

Thanks,

Justin
Jubb