SHAKING, STALLING, SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT

1997 Mercury Tracer

1997 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Automatic 117000 miles

A few months ago, my car started stalling frequently. It shakes just before it stalls, and most of the time the service engine light comes on afterward. The light may stay on for a few days or disappear as soon as I start it up again.
I've been to a few different mechanics, and I've spent more than the car is worth in repairs already, and it's exactly the same as when it started.
We had the catalytic converter cleaned and welded. We replaced motor mounts. We actually replaced the engine. And it's still the same.
It sounds like a lawnmower, and the noise is worse if the air conditioning is running. It shakes mildly all the time, and now it smells like exhaust inside the car when it runs.
If anyone has any idea what's wrong with the beast, I would be truly thankful to know what it might be.
Thanks for your time.
Fernandezs