NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH

1994 Mercury Tracer

1994 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

its a 1994 mercury tracer. When I try to start it in park, there is nothing cept the dash lights up and raido comes on when I turn the key. After the lil button on the shifter FINALLY goes in (yes sometimes it is like locked and wont go in) I can move it to Neutral and still nothing. After a while of sliding it back and fourth it might finally start. WHY is this happening? Can I bypass this with a lil switch?

one time I had a car with starter issues so I had a button installed and I could push the button and start the car. This car makes no noise like it is trying to start. So I dont think its a starter issue. Someone said that they think this model car has a transmission safety switch and maybe that is the problem.

me being a girl.I am lost. Why cant I jus start it up? This morning it was cold and took 10 mins of moving the shifter and turning the key.I felt like crying! PLEASE advise.I asked yahoo and the guys over there all say that it is my neutral safety switch. Where is it and how do I replace it? How can I check to see if its bad?
Deneenr