BACKUP AND LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS NOT WOR

1994 Mercury Tracer

1994 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

I am trying trouble shoot this issue and so far I have no 12 v or ground to either. The wires are on the same plugs in the trunk. Can someone tell me if the wires have another plug somewhere up the line and if so where? Chiltons diagram show license plate and park lights coming from the same source and park lights all work. The third tail light is not working either but I have not had a chance to even look at it.
Rickhue

Hi
The plate backup and high mount brake lights all share the same ground. Check the black wires to ground with OHM meter. Follow wire back to right side trunk junction. Somewhere the ground is being lost.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
I know I don't have a ground, but I don't have 12 V going to the ground on the rear parking light on any of them either?

Rickhue
I know I don't have a ground, but I don't have 12 V going to the ground on the rear parking light on any of them either?[/Quote: 13b2e22644]

No they don't all share a common ground in fact the ground to the backup light and the plate is shared, but it's only shared between the sides they are on (right side has one ground, left side has seperate ground) the high mount brake light is seperate. What is happening (I've seen other forums where this question is asked and did not see an answer of what was wrong) these wires are affixed to the arm that raises and lowers the trunk lid, over time of going up and down the wires break, in my case both grounds and the 12v to the plate light, the high mount brake was the bulb.

Rickhue