1.9 ENGINE CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START

1993 Mercury Tracer

1993 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Daughter doing 50 mph down highway engine quits and will not start.

I have spark, compression, and fuel on rail [unknown pressure] plugs dry after cranking. I tried some starting fluid and got no responce. [Not sure the quality of this test].

The fuel pump runs. When I disconnected the output of the fuel filter an placed a hose to a container I got about 2oz of fuel each key on cycle.

I have checked all fuses in the underhood box on driver side as well as under the driver steering wheel.

Both the fuel pump and the PCM relay in front of the computer have been tested and jumper just be sure.

Trouble codes were 616 as best I could determind an a 542 [I am using a analog volt meter].
[In testing I had the fuel connecter under the rear seat disconnected. This was before I found out how to conect and read codes].

I found no referance to 616 and I may have caused the 542.

I disconnected the battery + lead for 1/2 hr and reconnected. I now have a 33 code. I find no referance to it.

I have not been able to find any referance to the fuel injectors as to how they operate. I am guessing a command is sent from the computer. Is this a direct path or is there a module, inline fuses, or slave relays in the circuit.

Thanks for any help.
Johnie