BROKEN CAR!

1992 Mercury Tracer

1992 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

My car just stopped working one day while driving it. (I will describe this the best I can, seeing that I am a girl and don't know anything about cars) I replaced a box that 4 cords connect to. All spark plugs were checked and OK'd. The car will almost start but won't turn over. It gets to the turning over part. I was told it could possibly be the timing belt, but am not sure where to find it, how to check it or match it up with the marks to put it back in place! Any help would be more than greatly appreciated.
Stephanie49855

Do below to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a starting fluid/ether/better off gas in a spray bottle and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it