COOLING FAN ONLY OPERATING WHEN ECT SEN

1991 Mercury Tracer

Engine Cooling problem
1991 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 178, 00 miles

My vehicle's cooling fans will only operate when the ect is unplugged. I replaced all the relays, fuses, the ect sensor, the sensor described as to prevent the overdrive from engaging while temps are low and the temp gauge sender in the inlet pipe just passed the thermostat which was also replaced. The fan works when directly wired to the battery. The issue I am stumped on is the fact that when I turn the ignition key on the fan will try to engage but die out - regardless of the engine temp. As a final attempt I had connected a code reader even though I only get an engine light when the ect is unplugged. As it turns out the car will not link to the reader even though the reader had successfully connected to an identical car -" 1.9 auto w/ A.C. &Quot; no less than a week ago. Any ideas? Any feedback would be much appreciated
Iggyboy76