POOR PERFORMANCE,RUNNING ROUGH

1989 Mercury Tracer

1989 Mercury Tracer 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 160000 miles

my car started running bad (very low power, poor fuel mileage, low idle, ) one day, the check engine lite isnt on. It runs bad cold and when it warms up. It ran like this for 2 months strait. Then while driving on day it fixed itself.(It runs perfect gets 40 mpg, idles perfect cold or hot. It has ran fine for a month and then while driving it has gone back to running crappy again.I checked the fuel pressure and althou it has 30 psi it doesnt hold this after it shuts off.I dont know which wires to jumper to flash codes on the check engine lite as my connector doesnt look like the ones shown for my year (i have a 6 hole connecter in a 2 by 3 row configeration and a 2 hole connector and a single hole connector)what could go wrong where it would run so bad (the car wont go up a hill unless in 1st gear )then fix itself
without me doing anything.
Charliefromwashington