WEIRD SHIFTING

1999 Mercury Station Wagon

1999 Mercury Station Wagon 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

My car has started shifting in and out of overdrive when traveling at highway speeds with the cruise control on and off. Car will also shift funny now around town. The speedometer also starts to bounce all over the place when it starts to do this. Trans fluid is now burnt and was replaced at 89000 miles. Car now has 120000.

There is an electrical plug just below the master brake cylinder that I pulled off and did notice trans fluid in it before when it did it the first time. Cleaned it out with electrical cleaner and dried it and it worked fine until yesterday. Checked the same plug again and there was no oil in it this time.

Used a OBD II and did not get any codes.
Wkohn

What model Merc is this? Sable or a van?

Merlin2021
Sorry forgot to put that it is the 1999 Sable Wagon 3L Durtec 24V engine.

Wkohn
Is the service engine light on? It sounds like the VSS(vehicle speed sensor) It's located on the right passengers side axle housing. Way in the back of the motor. Usually, but not always, a P0500 will be stored.

Merlin2021
Service Engine light is off. Did put put a OBD II reader on it and it showed no codes.

Wkohn
Look at the mechanical then, filter and valve body.

Merlin2021