ENGINE WON'T RESTART

2001 Mercury Sable

2001 Mercury Sable 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

When the car is hot, been running awhile, and I turn it off, it won't restart. It cranks, but weird. It might catch, but then won't keep running. I step on the gas and it dies completely. I need to wait 20-30 min, presumably to cool off, then it will start fine and run fine. There was a check engine light and it was diagnosed as running lean. Several things were fixed including intake gasket and fuel filter. Light is off but still have the problem. Then a Ford bulletin suggested idle control valve, which I replaced. But still does the same thing. Help?
Chrishay

Verify your fuel pressure if its within specification

There was a check engine light and it was diagnosed as running lean

A lean fuel condition can be caused by: * Low fuel pressure due to a weak pump or leaky fuel pressure regulator. (Use a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure at idle)

* Dirty fuel injectors. (Try cleaning the injectors)

* Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, vacuum hose connections or throttle body. (Use a vacuum gauge to check for low intake vacuum)

* Leaky EGR valve. (Check operation of EGR valve)

* Leaky PCV Valve or hose. (Check valve and hose connections)

* Dirty or defective Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). (Try cleaning the MAF sensor wires or filament with aerosol electronics cleaner. Do NOT use anything else to clean the sensor, and do not touch the sensor wires)