ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM

1997 Mercury Sable

1997 Mercury Sable 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Trying to resurrect a 1997 Sable wagon - missing ignition key.

The story starts with a call from a longtime friend. His wife lost the only known transponder key to their 1997 Sable wagon.

First to the dealer with title and ID for proof of ownership. Dealer says that their records only go back 8 years. {{Poof}} plan A fails.

Next, call locksmiths. Out of 6, one shows up, works with car for 3 hours, and vanishes. No bill, no explanation, nothing. Plan B fails. {{Poof}}

Now, I get the call. The car is equipped with a full factory anti-theft system. The best answer that I have is to go to the junkyard, find a similarly equipped car with a key, and take the entire system from it to transplant into the disabled one.

As near as I can tell, the system consists of the following:

1) Transponder key.

2) Transceiver in the steering column.

3) Remote control (also missing along with the key).

4) PATS module to read the key transponder.

The trip to the junkyard yields a lockset with key, transponder, and PATS module.

Installed the junkyard parts. No start.

Next, I see that the keyless entry module is also linked into the PATS system. ARGHHHHH!

Ok, return to the junkyard for the correct keyless entry module. So far, no results.

The car is verified to belong to the owner, a long time friend, and has been in the family for over 5 years.

Any Ford techs out there with access to manuals that can tell me what I have forgotten to change? Is there also a RAP module hidden someplace that I need to also change? If worse comes to worse, I will have to get a shop manual, and proceed from there.
Jgarofalo