WONT IDLE- ROTTEN EGG-BURNING SMELL

2001 Mercury Marquis

2001 Mercury Marquis V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 21,000 miles

01' 4.6 Grand Marquis. Hasnt been idling at startup for a while now. Turn the key, starts for 1 second. Dies. Check engine light does NOT come on. Holding down the gas pedal a little to keep it idling, and usually after warm up, and more recently kicking the gas pedal quickly has freed up whatever is keeping it from idling. Not today. Today rapidly kicking the gas pedal (revving the motor in the process) made a gasoline smell, then a rotten egg/sulfur smell, followed VERY QUICKLY by a " somethings on fire" smell. It's out in the driveway now with the hood up, in the rain cooling off

What's my initial problem with the cold start idle, and what did I burn up today with my usual remedy?H
Quadlibet2001

Could be an exhaust restriction-disconnect the exhaust pipe and see what happens we start here-let me know ( Possible clogged catalytic converter )

Replaced idle air control valve. Starts smooth as butter. No smell.

Quadlibet2001
Thanks for coming back with the fix the world learns thru this kind of stuffs especially the needy ones that cannot afford the fix-TY again and Good Luck