ALTERNATOR CABLE RECALL..

2001 Mercury Cougar

2001 Mercury Cougar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 53000 miles

Hi there,

I have all of the symtoms outlined in recall 01V031000, but my car was manufactured in 10/23/00, and the 'affected build dates are: 19971206 - 20000918".

In short, I've had electrical charging and shorting problems with this car. It's consumed 5 batteries and 6 alternators. The car is dead again, and ford won't replace this bad cable because they claim it's not the problem. The last alternator lasted 24 hours, and the repair shop refuses to help me anymore; they have 'ohmed' out the cable between the alternator connection and the battery, and it reads 2 ohms when the shake the car - - a sign of a dead short.

When this first started happening it would smell like something burning.

Now, my question: I can't seem to find any information on how to fix or replace this cable, nor how to fix the short 'near the power steering cable'. In theory, I can just find this location and repair the worn cable, and fix it's routing. But I have no idea where to start.

Any ideas? How hard is this cable to replace? Any idea what part numbers I need to order?

The internet is full of people with this problem, it seems.

http://auto-recalls.justia.com/content/01V031000-MERCURY-COUGAR-2000.html
3ricj

PArt numbers according to mitchell: xs8z-14301-kb-neg
xs8z-14300-kb-pos

Dealer parts Dept. Can verify this.

I did not find the recall in mitchell.

One option is to have the dealer diagnose it instead of the repair shop and put them on the hook.

I will try to find a diagram and post it. I have another source I want to check on this one.

What brand of alternaters have been used?

Vehicle Level Starting and Charging Battery Battery Cable Service and Repair

Service and Repair
REMOVAL
Disconnect the battery ground cable. WARNING: THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE ANY AIR BAG COMPONENT REPAIR IS CARRIED OUT. TO DEPLETE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, FIRST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY GROUND CABLE, THEN DISCONNECT THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE AND WAIT ONE MINUTE TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND PERSONAL INJURY. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.
Remove the air cleaner.
Disconnect the battery positive cable electrical connector from the distributor plate.
Disconnect the starter motor solenoid electrical connector and detach the battery positive cable.
Detach the positive battery cable.
Cut the cable tie.
Remove the air cleaner bracket.
Position the shift cable to one side.
Disconnect the starter motor electrical connectors.
Remove the ignition coil.
Remove the shorting bar cover.
Depress the tangs.
Remove the shorting bar cover.
Disconnect the battery positive cable.
Remove the battery positive cable.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: When the battery is disconnected and reconnected some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.