MECURY COUGER XR7EGR VALVE REPLACEMENT

1995 Mercury Cougar

Does anybody happen to have procedures for removal and replacement of an EGR Valve for a 1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 with a 4.6 V8? Or at least give me some pointers on how to remove and replace it?
Mizzoudude1

Remove and installationn procedure should be on this site. Such as shop manual. Why do u replace the EGR valve?. Have u test its functionality and limit 1st?. Its kinda expensive. Just curious

Kin chan
Yea the check engine light came on. Took it to Auto Zone and they hooked up their analyzer and the fault code said EGR Valve. So I assumed that I would have to change yhe EGR valve.

Mizzoudude1
All chk engine lite indicate is ur have an abnormal condition in the particular system or components. Thats all. Plain and simple. No more no less. It didn't say it ran tests and egr components is at fault. Right. Think about it.

Kin chan
The guy at autozone said sort of the same thing, that it just said it was in the egr system, but I'm not that good at trouble shooting so I didn't know what esle to do but change the egr valve. I'm open to any suggestions that it may be. That is why I'm asking for help.

Mizzoudude1
Take the egr off, 2 bolts hold it on, get a length of steel coathanger and push it in the hole under the egr. Go all the way to the throttle body. If you find it's plugged with carbon this will solve the problem. No parts needed! After doing this you will need to have your mil light turned off. It won't go out by itself on this code p0401 for a while. If the light comes back on you will need to replace the egr position sensor.

Merlin2021