DRIVERS SEAT

1994 Mercedes Benz SL500

1994 Mercedes Benz SL500 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 92000 miles

For unknown reasons the drivers seat when all the way forward and is stuck in that position. None of the adjustment controls work. The passenger seat works fine. The driver seat fuse is OK. The forward motion of the drivers seat began after driving through a large puddle of water. At first the forward motion of the seat could be stopped by pushing the control to the rear but when the control was released the seat continued to move forward. Now nothing works.

How do I fix it (I'm presently in Mazatlan, Sinaloa, MX with no MB dealer. The seat is too close to the steering wheel for me to drive the car safely. Is there a way I can disconnect the seat and move it aft manually?

Thanks for your help!

Ed Morgan
EdwMorgan

You will have to undo the four bolts holding the seat down. Disconnect the electric connection. Once the seat is out then you will have to turn the movement adjusting screw manually. When you have the seat at the right location I would leave the electrical disconnected. As it might do the same thing. I think you may have gotten water in the electrical controls on the seat.

M_H_RITZEL
Thanks for the response. Are the four bolts you are referring to all located at the aft end of the seat track as I can get access to any up forward.

I will try and remove them tomorrow and let you know if I have any problems.

Ed Morgan

EdwMorgan
There are two bolts holding the front of the seat to the floor, with the seat being so far up you might have some menevering to do to get them out. Once you get the seat out try to bench test the seat to move

M_H_RITZEL