REAR SUSPENSION

2003 Mercedes Benz S430

Suspension problem
2003 Mercedes Benz S430 V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

MECHANIC JACKED CAR UP AND DID NOT FOLLOW THE CORRECT PROCEDURE. CAR WILL NOT RISE IN THE BACK. BOTTOMED OUT. M-b SAY IT WILL COST 700 AND I HAVE TO BRING IT IN TO THEM
CSOLOMONBENZ

I have forwarded your question to our M/B tech. He will be with you shortly, thank you for your patience

Jack42
Normally the suspensions systems, even on the models equipped with Airmatic, really don't have any particular procedure for jacking up the vehicle. However if the lower control arms were used as jacking points then yes this could cause some issues. More than likely what has occured, and what is very common for this model, is a high amperage draw by the Airmatic compressor. This causes a 40 amp maxi fuse located in the fuse box on the passnger side of the engine bay to blow. Check this fuse box for this blown fuse (it is orange with a clear top and is roughly twice the size of a normal fuse). This is the fuse for your airmatic suspension compressor. Most of the time this requires replacement of the airmatic compressor (usually about $700) however I have had several clients that have simply replaced the fuse and associated airmatic compressor relay (located in the same fuse box) without replacing the compressor. So check the maxi fuse, if it's blown replace the airmatic compressor relay and maxi fuse. Note: If the fuse blows a second time after it and the relay were replaced then the compressor will have to be replaced.

Gfimotorcars