MODELS WATER DAMAGE

2002 Mercedes Benz Other

2002 Other Mercedes Benz Models 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 69,600 miles

Recently the tranmission was slipping on my 02 mercedes. Took it to Mercedes, the diagnostic showed nothing wrong. Mercedes drop the transmission to check it out and found that the transmission was rusted. They said water got into the transmission and rusted it out. Since it was not mechancial, they would not cover a new tranmission.
How can water get into a sealed transmission? Can this happen? I thought the transmissions were sealed. I bought the car used in 05 and it was certified, was this rust problem around when I bought it or did it occur since I owned it. The car had 38,000 miles on it when I bought it.
How can water get into the transmission.
Stuart Nussbaum

Hi there,

The transmission must have a breather port, this is so when the transmission heats up excess internal pressure can vent to atmosphere. These breathers are normally on top of the transmission and away from harm, but if the transmission was hot and driven into deep water, deep enough to cover the top of the transmission, the rapid cooling of the transmission would decrease the internal pressure and " suck " in water from the breather. The transmission oil if contaminated with water will become emulsified, (thicker and discoloured) if it was flushed soon after contamination there would normally be no problem, but if it sat for any length of time rust could easily start to develop on internal components.
I hope that this answers your question clearly enough.

Mhpautos
The water is coolant and it got in from the radiator thought your trans cooler lines..

Madmanoz
Hi there,

That is unusual for a benz to do that, but it is better than flood damage. Trouble is the water damage is not good in the trans regardless how it gets there. I hope that they can repair it at a reasonable price, the silt damage was what was going to concern me, I had seen this happen on a BMW, and it just stuffed everything. Good luck with it and I hope you get going real soon.

Mhpautos
You are going to need a radiatior and a transmission with torque convertor.

Madmanoz