HEAT SHIELD FOR

1999 Mercedes Benz ML430

1999 Mercedes Benz ML430 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

Hi

My ML430 1999 vehicle caught fire couple of weeks back I just drove for 5 minutes and the passerby noticed the fire and alerted me. Luckly a restaurant owner near by bought his fire extinguisher and put off the fire immediately. The fire was near the right hand front wheel and near the exhause manifold area. I took the vehicle to the merc dealer and I was told that the heat sheld and two screens are missing. I gave my vehicle for transmissions repair to a mechanic couple of weeks back and I was told that the mechanic did not put back the heat shield. When I contacted the transmission mechanic he says that there is no need to remove the heat shield for the transmission repair. I do not trust the transmission mechanic, I wanted to know if the transmission can be repaired without removing the heat shield. If the heat shield was not there he should have alerted to me as the dealer says that without the heat shield the car can catch fire again.

Need help in knowing whether the heat shield need to be removed for doing transmission major job. Also what would be the cost to install a heat shield.

Appreciate your help
Veekayus