CAR DIES/WON'T RESTART

2000 Mercedes Benz ML320

2000 Mercedes Benz ML320 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 84000 miles

Car shuts off

We have a 2000 ML320. Our problems started when driving 55 mph (mostly uphill) the car would lose power and go down to 40 mph. We would quickly pull the car over and it would sit there sputtering and shaking. We would then shut off the key and then turn it back on and all would be back to normal. We have several occurances of this. Finally, one day while at the drive-thru at the bank while waiting for the teller (car is idling) I realized the car had died (all dashbord lights on.) The car would not restart for about 45minutes. We then took it in to have the codes read. They found a error code for the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor.) We had it cleaned, but that did not fix the problem. We then bought a new MAF and installed it. But that still did not fix the problem. The car will run for about 4-5 miles and then I will feel no pressure on the gas throttle and I then know that the car has quit running. I quickly pull it over and the dashboard will light up with all the warning lights. The car will not restart for about 45 minutes. Now the car will run for about 1 mile and died and will again not restart for 45 minutes. We bought a code reader at Checkers and it has a code of P0300, which said " Iginition, Mis-fire". We do not have a manual and do not know what exactly this code means. Can anyone help us?
Desgr1

Have you checked the charging system? It could also be a wiring issue. Mercedes are notorious for wiring insulation flaking. HTH.

Stevew84
Sound like a bad crankcase position sensor. General purpose code readers may fail to read Mercedes codes. The book which came with my UIFTech scanner offers this for code 0300: " Misfiring Damages TWC.&Quot; Acronyms are not explained but you can usually Google an explanation.

Cessna