TRANSMISSION

2005 Mercedes Benz E500

2005 Mercedes Benz E500 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 78000 miles

When I make sharp turns at low speeds (leaving parking space, etc) my car shudders and I hear a clunking sound underneath the car (sounds like it is coming from the front). Any ideas what is causing this? Does it have anything to do with the transfer case maybe? Thanks.
LiamJH

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

I would get to a dealer and have the front differential checked and the front drive line, I don
t think it will be back at the transfer as the front diff is working hardest when steering is on full lock and turning as any speed, describe these symptoms and if you can get the tech to drive the car with you so that you can point out the problem when it happens, that way there is no Chance of any " we could not duplicate the problem" story.

Mhpautos
One last question. My car runs fine when I start driving it, but after about 30 mins, when I get off the highway and drive on side roads, the car make a thud sound when it shifts into first gear (stop sign, light). Then when I start up again, it makes another loud thud getting out of first gear. Any ideas? Thanks.

LiamJH
Hi there,

This can be a pressure related issue with in the transmission, re the idle speed can be a bit elevated, this will cause the same feel, best have it inspected as well as there is no quick adjustments that you can do your self.

Mark

Mhpautos