NEED TO REPLACE REAR DIFFERENTIAL.

2005 Mercedes Benz E500

2005 Mercedes Benz E500 V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 53,000 miles

Hi, I brought my car in for it's regular scheudled maintenance.I told them I was hearing a noise coming from the steering column when I am braking or coming to a stop on a hill or pulling into a parking spot. I got a call from the dealership that the noise is not my steering column but something that has to do with my rear differential and they said over time my gears will wear and the drive train could go and I need to replace the differential since MB doesn't have the seperate specific part that I need. So this is going to be $4,500. My warentee just expired at 50,000 miles otherwise this would have been covered. I am in disbelief that I would have such a severe expensive problem with an E class that I bought new and had all my routine services at the dealer and now at 53,000 miles I need to replace the differential. I believe this must be a defect in the part. After lots of negotiating MB is will to pay a good majority of it but I still have to pay 1K for the installation, does this sound right that at such low milage I need to replace my rear differential. I am not a very mechanical person so I don't know much about this.

Thanks!
Natasha123