INTERMITTANT NO START

1998 Mercedes Benz E300d

1998 Mercedes Benz E300d 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 196000 miles

Occasionally - but getting worse - smart key will activate steering lock, SRS light comes on but no glow plug or other lights. Engine does not turn over. Turn key on and off a couple of times and it usually starts.
Pmcd404

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

We don't have a specialist Benz tech on at the present, so I will do my best to see if we can work through this one.

Thinking about the theory and applying it to this problem, I would first get a diagnostic scan done, I would be looking for a faulty key reader. (This is a part of the anti theft system) and also I would be getting the ignition switch checked out, as it is getting worse and re setting key & ignition tends to over come the problem, I would be starting the diagnosis here, I feel that this may be a job for a dealer or a qualified mechanic with Benz experience, as these systems can be quite complex.

Mhpautos