AUTOMATIC SEAT SWITCH

2000 Mercedes Benz CLK320

Interior problem
2000 Mercedes Benz CLK320 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 49000 miles

I own a 2000 clk 320 convertible, it has a very ingenioius switch on the upper outside seat bolster, which when lifted allows the seat to move forward and allow greater access to the back seat. Unfortunately upon lifting the lever, a sound much like a pop was heard and the seat is locked in a front position and cannot be slid back, there are some sort of cables within the seat which I cannot get access to, I have tried from the back to no avail, do you have any advise as to how to fix this problem, I am pretty handy I just dont know how the mechanism works so as to diagnose and fix it. Thanks
Mark clk 320

You may have one of a few problems. First if a pop was heard you may have a broken cable. Also the pop may indicate a broken seat motor armature (if you see a cable hanging below the seat) The release cable may also be broken. The easiest way to get a better look at the mechanism is by removing the seat back. The plastic seat back has two screws holding it in from the bottom. Remove these screws and pull the panel down then out. This will give you a better view of the release cables and handle mechanism.

Gfimotorcars