BAD FUEL GAUGE

1995 Mercedes Benz C280

1995 Mercedes Benz C280 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

The fuel gauge in my c280 is not taking an accurate reading. Generally it will read empty even on a full tank but sometimes it reads normal. Would most of this cost be in labor? Any idea what part specifically is faulty? What o you think a repair price for this would be?

Anthony
Spitstix

Most likely cause is a bad fuel level sensor, this car has one on each side of the tank due to the saddle bag configurarion over the driveshaft. Both left and right should be replaced. They are removed and replaced from under the car and require draining of the fuel tank. Estimated labor time not including diagnosis 2-3hrs. Call for parts prices.

A word of caution, unless you are experienced, I wouldn't attempt it. There are fuel lines and fittings connected to the senders that cross over in the tank, if you break one you could need a whole tank!

Mrrobb