A/C COMPRESSOR

1999 Mercedes Benz C230

Air Conditioning problem
1999 Mercedes Benz C230 Automatic 247000 miles

I just purchased a new A/C compressor for my '99 Benz C230. I think I can figure out how to install it, but the compressor comes with oil - where and when do I put the oil in?
Jenni j

Trust me, you don't want to do this yourself. There is way too much that has to be known about this job and just slapping a compressor on it will likely end in another compressor failure right away. You have to be able to recognize the cause of the failure and other components damaged by the failure. A/C repairs are not really DIY type repairs and that's a very expensive compressor to ruin by repairing it incorrectly.

Wrenchtech
You're right, it would be very expensive to have bought one and then screw it up. However, I have already been told by my mechanic that the car is a money-pit, so I'm going out on a limb anyways. I just want to fix the a/c so I can sell it (I'm in FL, someone would have to be insane to to buy a car without a/c here). I have instructions from a repair manual for it but the only thing it says about the oil is to " Install new O-rings lubricated with suitable compressor oil" Is it really that simple? I was pretty sure oil needed to be in the compressor (not just the O-rings) for it to run well and keep running.

I'm not sure why it failed, but the air filters (cabin and main) had never been replaced (on my 11 year old car - GROSS) and the car has 250,000 miles on it, figured it was just age and not being taken care of properly. The compressor in it now is leaking badly. Put refrigerant in and it poured out.

Jenni j
REFRIGERANT OIL
NOTE:For compressor applications, see COMPRESSOR APPLICATIONS article. DO NOT exceed A/C system refrigerant oil capacity, when servicing system. See REFRIGERANT OIL & REFRIGERANT SPECIFICATIONS article in GENERAL SERVICING.

Only new, moisture-free refrigerant oil should be used in the air conditioning system. This oil is highly refined and dehydrated so moisture content is less than 10 parts per million. The oil container must be tightly closed at all times when not in use, or moisture from the air will be absorbed into the refrigerant oil.

Mercedes-Benz

Drain, measure, and discard refrigerant oil from old compressor. Drain shipping oil from replacement compressor into a clean container. Add refrigerant oil to replacement compressor equal to amount drained from old compressor, plus 0.7 ounce.
If a sudden refrigerant discharge greater than 1.4 ounces has occurred, add 1.4 ounces of refrigerant oil after repairs. If a slow refrigerant leak less than 1.4 ounces has occurred, add 0.7 ounce of refrigerant oil after repairs. If any other components are replaced, add refrigerant oil as specified. See COMPONENT REFRIGERANT OIL CAPACITIES (MERCEDES-BENZ - NIPPONDENSO) table.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_merc_21.jpg

Dave H