WILL NOT SHIFT!!

1995 Mercedes Benz C220

1995 Mercedes Benz C220 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

Today I changed out both of the flex discs. I note this in case it has anything to do with the trans. I then drained the trans fluid, removed the pan and the filter, and installed the new trans filter and pan gasket. Replaced fluid with one of the recommended types, in this case Castrol Dexron VI. I only put in 4 qts as this was about the same amount that came out. (I realize that this trans has about a 7 qt capacity. I was going to drain and refill again to at least get most of it). After I filled it, started the car, and placed into gear, I have to rev it to about 4k before it starts to just creeeeeep forwards or back. It doesn't 'slam' or 'jerk' into gear, it is as smooth as can be. Just nowhere NEAR what a car should be.

Please help! I am going to call the mechanic to come tow it in the morning as it is not driveable. I have done probably 50 trans this same way, yet this is the first time this has ever happened.
Ej7557